Tuesday 12 April 2011

Getting In Shape and My Weight History

Put your hands up if you've ever felt the need to go on a diet or start a fitness regime? I bet it's most of us, isn't it?! Me too! Since I was really young, (I'm talking 8 or 9) I've worried about my weight and tried to do something about it. Now, at the age of 20, I appreciate that that was waaayyy too young to be worrying about my weight and wish I'd just concentrated on enjoying my childhood! Here's a brief outline of my general weight/size through the years:

Early childhood: I always remember being a fat child. I'm not saying I was huge at all but I remember looking in the mirror and feeling massive compared to my friends. This wasn't helped by the fact I was much taller than them at the time as well. My parents would always tell me it was puppy fat and would come off soon. They were right - this 'fat stage' lasted til I was about 13.

Early teens: So the puppy fat came off but, as far as I can remember, it wasn't because of any specific exercise or eating plan. I wasn't a skinny twig now - I had curves but I was happy with my weight and was a healthy size 8. I stayed this way until I started Uni at 19. I remember throughout my teens, pretty much eating whatever I liked and staying the same size. I went through periods of going to the gym 4 times a week and periods of not going at all and I always seemed to stay the same size.

19/20: When I started Uni, it was the same story as loads of other students! Drinking a lot more than before, eating fast food at early hours of the morning, not having anyone to cook for me. I was told repetitively before I started that loads of people put on weight when they go to Uni but because of my previous eating habits, I didn't believe it would happen to me. I was wrong! I put on about a stone (14lbs) in a year which made me very unhappy.

I've been really trying to get back in shape for the month or so and so far have lost about 4 lbs. Here's what I've been doing. (Remember, I am in no way a professional in this field but have done a lot of research. This is just what seems to be working for me but everyone is different and needs to find what will personally work for them).

Diet
  • I have cut out all junk food completely. So that means absolutely none of the following foods: fast food, chips, crisps, cakes, cookies, biscuits, fry ups (my favourite - sob sob!), etc. And I mean none. This one is obvious really.
  • I've also cut my calorie intake and I use an app on my iPhone to record this. Counting calories is not for everyone but seems to be working for me. It can get very annoying at times though!
  • Drinking LOADS of water.
  • Not snacking but eating three small but balanced meals a day.
  • Giving up dairy. If you have read the book Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin you'll know why! I drink Rice Dream instead of milk now and don't eat cheese or butter.

Fitness
  • I've started running. This has been a struggle because I've never run before and it had been about a year since I had done any exercise. But I do try to run for at least 20-30 minutes about 4 times a week. I get up and do it really early so no one sees me haha!
  • Windsor Pilates. Amazing. Order the DVD now!



I hope this maybe gave you a few tips if you've been feeling unhappy with your weight recently. Remember, we're all different and some of us were not born to be skinny minnies!

xx

Images courtesy of http://www.weheartit.com/ 

1 comment: