Tuesday 26 April 2011

HOW TO: Grow and Maintain Long, Healthy Hair

Let's face it, a huge amount of us, me included, would most likely give quite a lot to have hair like the gorgeous LC and all the other luscious-locked celebs that grace our TV screens and magazines on a regular basis. Most of us probably feel like we'll never achieve it though, don't we?
Image courtesy of http://www.weheartit.com/
Well, I can't promise you the steps below will leave you looking like this, but I can tell you that I have noticed a considerable improvement in the condition of my hair since following these processes so they may make you one step closer to that Conrad-esque hair you've so long desired.
  1. Restrict heat use! Try to limit the amount you blow-dry, straighten and use curling tongs on your hair. I know this is a tough one, especially if you're used to that perfectly preened and put together look but it is a vital step if you want your hair to grow and be healthy. Try to restrict heat styling to nights out and special occasions only.
  2. Heat protectors! When you do use heat it is absolutely vital to use a heat protector or your hair will split higher and higher up the hair shaft and get shorter and shorter - not what you want when on the long hair pursuit! The one I use and would recommend is John Frieda's Frizz Ease Serum with Heat Protection (the orange one). It's only about £5.89 and is available in drugstores and supermarkets. I apply this on my damp hair before blow-drying and then again on the dry hair before straightening/curling and it keeps my hair glossy and healthy looking.
  3. Natural Shampoos/Conditioners. Read my review on Naked Shampoos and Conditioners here for info on this step!
  4. Hair masks. Treat your barnet to a hair mask once a week. There are loads of these out there from drugstore to high end depending on your budget. I've found some really effective ones in the past from the likes of L'Oreal and Herbal Essences so it's not necessarily vital to spend an arm and a leg on one! Some alternatives that you might find in your kitchen cupboard are olive oil and mayonnaise (if you can bare the stink!)
  5. Take your vitamins! Vitamin D and Biotin are said to be great for maintaining healthy hair and skin. I got my tablets from Holland and Barrett and take them daily. I have definitely noticed a reduction in shedding since taking these.
  6. A healthy diet. This one goes without saying really. If you want any part of your body to be healthy you can't eat rubbish. This means lots of fresh fruit and veg, oily fish, wholegrains etc...and LOADS of water! 2 and a half litres daily if you can!
I hope these tips help you out if your on Operation Healthy Hair like me! Have you got any tips that might help me out in my mission?
Thanks for reading chicas! xx

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by(: those are great tips! and your blog is super cute<3 :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice topic!!! useful tips!
    http://misstarshiny.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair literally wont grow past a certain point so I'm going to try out these tips... although I'm too sure I can stop using my straighteners! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for checking out my blog :) I wish I could let my hair grow long but it gets soo frizzy!! I end up cutting my hair short cuz I can't stand it lol long hair is a lot of work but it's oh so pretty! Maybe later in life when I have more patience lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips and I really need to try them more because I would love to grow my hair as long as LC. Need to definitely use more heat protectors. :) Thanks for reminding me

    xoDale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tips!!

    Anouk
    http://fashiondottt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete